The health and wellness industry can be a tricky one to keep up with, always hearing about a new “must-have” food, drink or workout program can make it all feel quite overwhelming! So this week we wanted to dive into what all the fuss is about when it comes to trendy kombucha and why you should consider adding it to your wellness routine.
“Kombucha” is a fermented tea beverage produced by a Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast (SCOBY), which is then added to black, green, or white tea that has been steeped in sugar. Kombucha has been used in traditional diets for thousands of years and has proven to contain bacteria that are beneficial for both the digestive system and the immune system.
SCOBY: Symboitic Culture Of Bacteria & YeastA living home for bacteria and yeast, SCOBY is a mushroom-like film that forms on the liquid’s surface and seals off the fermenting kombucha from the air- protecting it from outside bacteria. This is why kombucha is also referred to as “mushroom tea” and why you may come across a little floatie in your drink – a new SCOBY in the making.
Now that you have a little background on what kombucha is, we wanted to introduce you to Booch Organic Kombucha, an elixir of health, brewed locally in London, Ontario. Their story started in the home of Founder and Master fermenter Shannon Kamins after being diagnosed with Celiac disease; struck with the uncomfortable side effects of sharp stomach pain and bloating she began to experiment with small-batch kombucha remedies to see if they would have any impact on her discomfort.
Inspired by her struggle with gut health, Shannon continued to put all of her education and creative energy into researching traditional diets, fermented foods, Ayurveda, herbalism, and ancient healing arts. A passion that grew from what started as a home-brewed remedy has flourished and become an eco-regenerative and sustainable business that offers authentically crafted, small-batch kombucha for our fast-paced lives.
Top 5 Reasons You Should Drink Kombucha:
- Loaded with Probiotics: Originating in China, kombucha contains lactic-acid bacteria which helps to strengthen and re-populate beneficial bacteria in the digestive system.
- Immunity Booster & Inflammation Reducer: Packed with anti-oxidants combined with probiotics to provide illness-fighting properties that detoxify and prevent inflammation.
- Source of Energy & Improves Mental State: Kombucha contains Electrolytes, B Vitamins, residual sugar, and a small dose of caffeine- the ideal healthy “pick-me-up”!
- Disease Preventing: With ongoing studies around kombucha, tests have shown positive effects on:
- The liver – reduces acidity
- The heart – improves “bad” LDL and “good” HDL cholesterol levels to protect against heart disease
- Blood sugar levels -slows down the digestion of carbs which reduces blood sugar levels
- Cancer-preventing properties – suppresses the growth and spread of cancer cells due to anti-oxidants and tea components).
- Digestion & Gut Health Aid: Turning to probiotics and fermented food/drinks is a great way to remedy an unhealthy gut and get yourself feeling back to normal again. Probiotics are known for their good bacterias that your system needs to get everything back to equilibrium.
Booch is known to be a favourited kombucha in the local health industry, distinguished by its exclusive fermentation process, that produces an effervescent punch and smooth refreshing finish- you will be sure to love at least one of their unique 100% organic flavours!
Booch Flavours available at Anna’s*:
- Blueberry Holy Basil
- Chaga Chai
- Citrus Twist
- Old Fashioned
- Peppermint Nettle
- Raspberry Lemonade – Staff Favourite
*Subject to availability and while supplies last.
Know that when you read up on kombucha, you’ll see lots of suggestions about adding a bottle a day into your wellness regimen- although many bloggers and health articles agree, just be sure to introduce kombucha into your routine slowly- try half a bottle or maybe even cut it with water. Everyone’s body is different and if you have a sensitive digestive system it’s best to be cautious and try it out slowly to see the effects.
We hope you find a flavour you love and will be on your way to a happy and healthy gut!