The nice weather is finally here and I’m excited to start decorating for spring and Easter! With all of us spending more time at home these days, it’s great to have a cozy nest that brings joy! One of my favourite ways to brighten up any room in the springtime is a pot of fresh hydrangeas. They are my absolute favourite flower with their beautiful giant pink blossoms of happiness. Just adding a pot of hydrangeas to your table or counter can instantly make your room feel bright and wonderful.
This year, with nowhere to go, I find myself filled with gratitude for the Easter seasons of years past. I AM going to decorate big and bold this year because it’s going to bring joy into my house. I think some joy is what we all really need this Easter! So I’m breaking out the good china, the flowers, the little bunnies…. the whole 9 yards.
Bringing spring inside
Flowering branches indoors
Another great way you can bring spring indoors is by cutting some branches that haven’t bloomed yet. Always ask permission if they are on private property.
- Select the right branch full of flower buds not yet in bloom.
- Snip using sharp pruning shears – cut where the branch meets the adjoining branch and make the cut flush with it.
- Smash the end with a hammer to allow water to soak up easily.
- Remove any buds that are below the waterline.
- Style in a vase with at least 6 inches of warm water.
- Change the water daily.
- Enjoy – your flowers will open in about a week! It really is that easy!
Chia seed strawberry jam
I also was thinking I’d share a fun little recipe with you this week since we all have time to be cooking and baking now! It’s a very easy recipe and you can get almost everything from Anna‘s Flowers through curbside pick up.
Fresh and easy Chia seed strawberry jam
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries
- 3 tbsp of honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan combine berries and 3 teaspoons of honey (or maple syrup). Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir frequently. Let simmer for about five minutes and lightly mash the berries with a fork leaving some whole for texture.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in Chia seeds and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Once the jam is thickened remove it from the pan and stir in vanilla. Add more sweetener if desired and enjoy on toast! See I told you that was easy!! Once the jam is cooled it can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for one week and will thicken even more as it cools. To experience this taste of spring, use the curbside pick up option at Anna’s to get fresh honey, Chia seeds and strawberries!
Since we are all going to be at home with our kids this Easter we definitely don’t want them all sugared up, so here is a list of snack-free ideas to keep your kids busy this Easter!
- pool toys
- beach toys
- sticker book
- coloring book
- paint brushes
- coloured pencils
- dry erase board
- bubble maker
- jump rope
- garden tools
- chia pet
- army men
- card games
- A plant (from Anna’s)
- pencil box
- tea party toys
- craft kit
- waffle maker
- rain boots
- to go cup
- wasabi tape
- window markers
- reusable library bag
- play dough
- sidewalk chalk
- tooth brush
- hair accessories
- nail polish
- picnic blanket
- cosy blanket
- bath bombs
- board games
- mad Libs
There are so many wonderful things we can still do this Easter even though we can’t be together. Spend time brightening the day of family, friends and neighbors to celebrate the season!
1. Draw with chalk or leave a message of inspiration on somebody’s driveway to cheer them up.
2. Leave flowers on someone’s porch.
3. Send a letter (the old fashion way in the mail.)
4. Reach out through a phone call or video chat to tell others how much you love them.
I wish I had some wonderful wisdom to give to you but just know we are all in this together. AND
~Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light~ Albus Dumbledore