A houseplant that isn’t afraid to show off its boldest patterns, Calathea Majestica White Star is a show stopper for its blushing pink and white stripes and dark purple underside oblong leaves.
Native to the tropical parts of America, and apart of the Ornata family, these plants are adored for their “prayer plant” attributes – moving its leaves throughout the day to follow the sun, and raising its leaves during the night as if to be praying to the heavens!
The perfect plant to be added for artistic texture and liveliness, Calathea are happiest in humid environments that offer indirect sun. Perhaps you have the ideal spot in your kitchen or bathroom or where you have a humidifier, diffuser, or a grouping of other plants to avoid the soil from drying out!
White Star Calathea Care & Maintenance:
- Light: Bright, indirect light
- Water: Water when the top 1″ of soil feels dry. Ensure pot allows for proper drainage. The foliage of the Calathea peacock plant can be damaged by fluoride in water; use collected rainwater, bottled or distilled water without fluoride to avoid this.
- Temperature & Humidity: Temperatures should ideally be between 60ºF – 75ºF (15.5-24ºC). Happiest in a humid environment (bathroom/kitchen)- increase humidity by placing the pot on a tray of pebble, misting the plant, or keeping near your humidifier/diffuser. Brown leaf tips means low humidity.
- Fertilizer: Water-soluble 20-20-20 monthly, in the Spring and Summer (April – October).
- Maintenance: Repot once every two years during the Spring, using a soil that holds moisture and drains well (perlite mix).