With so much going on in the world right now, I think it’s probably safe to say a lot of us are feeling unsettled and anxious, and finding calm isn’t as easy as it used to be. Our lives have dramatically changed in the last month, and everyday things like trips to the grocery store seem like monumental outings requiring much thought and planning. Whether you feel stir crazy, overwhelmed, isolated or anxious, know that you are not alone. Most of us are feeling that way right now.
While we do each do our part by staying home, a few small changes can help us bring calm to our homes, making them a refuge amidst the storm.
Here are some ideas for you to try when you’re feeling overwhelmed to help bring back a sense of calm to your daily routine.
- Did you know that indoor plants have many benefits? For starters, they remove toxins from the air making your environment healthier. You might be interested, but probably not surprised, to know that science also backs the mental health benefits of exposure to plants! Indoor plants instantly bring any room to life, and surrounding yourself with plants is the next best thing to actually being outside. The good news is a little goes a long way, and it really doesn’t take much to make your home cozy and full of life. A new snake plant or a pot of vibrant hydrangeas may be just the thing to spark some joy and bring a little calm to your home.
- Help yourself relax by surrounding yourself with comforting textiles. Cozy up your home with a small throw blanket and pillows to make your home feel like a sanctuary that says “forget about the rest of the world, just sit here and relax with a warm cup of coffee!”
- Unload your thoughts in a journal each day. By gently exploring your feelings and putting those thoughts on a page, it can help bring some peacefulness to your mind. Use your journal to also record things that you are grateful for to shift your focus.
- Writing a to-do list can help bring organization, structure and productivity to your day. It helps me feel a sense of purpose and accomplishment as I navigate through my day. I always find it is motivating to do the simplest, quickest things first. Never feel you have to finish the list all in one day. It’s just good to put all your plans on paper, so you don’t feel overwhelmed by the weight of them.
- Reach out to a friend, neighbor or loved one. Have tea over FaceTime. Write an email. Stay personally connected in creative, meaningful ways.
- Invite warmth and calm into your home with a peaceful aroma. Light a candle or fill your home with your favourite essential oil – the simple little flame or swirling mist can give you positive vibes and promote calm. Whatever that magical scent is for you, add it to your home!
- Schedule some time for self-care. Even if it’s only 10 minutes, have a hot shower, bath or try a facial mask to rest and recharge. Go for a walk in nature to gain some perspective as you enjoy the beauty and fresh air of the outdoors. Give yourself permission to put your health and well-being first.
- Practice yoga or quiet meditation to help relax and calm your body. Grounding yourself will help your energy levels and allow your mind to stop whirling.
Finding things that help us relax can look different for every person. Take some time to consider how you might best care for yourself and bring calm to your life. Remember that though we can’t be together, we are in this together. ❤️