Inject vivid life into your landscape, with Heather, a low growing perennial shrub that blooms generously from August through to November. Incorporate these cute plants as a means of ground cover with its interesting bushy look and abundance of flowers.
Heather has the marvellous ability to change colour as the weather changes, with a late Summer flower, the bloomer will add a pop of colour at a time when your garden needs it most. Low maintenance, Winter hardy, drought tolerant (once established) plant, that is fairly easy to grow!
Information, Care & Maintenance for Calluna Vulgaris: Heather
- Sun: Full Sun or part shade is ideal. Aim for your Heather to receiving at least a half-day of sun. Noting that full sun is better as the foliage colours intensity when fully exposed.
- Size & Spacing: Heather will grow to be 24” tall x 30” wide. When planting you will want to space the plants as far apart as their mature width and at least 2’ away from other shrubs to ensure there is proper circulation.
- Water & Soil: Heather prefers to be semi-moist, not soggy. We would recommend watering once or twice a week when the soil is dry, throughout the first growing season. Mulch Heather after planting.
- Fertilizer: This is not necessary as this type of perennial actually thrives and prefers poor soil
- Plant: It is recommended you plant Heather in the Fall or early Spring to allow the plants to become established.
Varieties you may find available at Anna’s Garden, Home & Wellness, while supplies last:
- Agneta: Lime green tips and evergreen base
- Linda: Pink tips and an evergreen base
- Renate: Purple and evergreen base
- Siska: Wine coloured tips with an evergreen base
- Trio: Combination of white, pink and purple blooms
- Venus: White tips with an evergreen base